Re: Pod setting recommendations

In a message dated 8/28/03 12:57:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
blues_harp68@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> The band I'm in is playing a riverboat cruise gig next week and the
> stage area is so small I may not be able to fit an amp on there with
> all the rest of the band equipment and will probably play through the
> p.a.  While I've played straight through the p.a. often enough and can
> set up a decent sound and get good tone, I've borrowed a Pod 2.0 from a
> guitar-player friend of mine and want to give that a try.
>
> Any of you experienced with the Pod have favorite settings you'd like
> to share?  Also, anything to avoid or watch out for on the little
> beast?  I'm going to take the Pod to practice tomorrow night and
> experiment with it through our p.a. system.

Howdy,

I know I am late with this post, but as a POD user I have to jump in. The POD
is a great tool for achieving a great harp sound. I have been gigging with
the POD for about 2 months now and I have to say it has given me the best
overall harp sound I have ever had. The POD though does have its limitations,
chiefly:

1. It has a tendency to sound distant if you do not set the channel volume
right

2. It has settings which are typically no use to the average harp player

3. It has a tendency of making high impedence mics super sensitive to
feedback. This can be remedied by turning the volume or reverb down, or by playing
with a tight cup. Either way, its something harp players deal with no matter
which amp. I don't really have a problem with feedback, but I also don't drive
the crap out of my amps either.

Yet with all these limitations, it is still one of the best bargains
concerning harp tone you can use. Why? Well because:

1. You can run it through the PA directly and advert any "beaming" effect
with tends to part the audience like the Red Sea.

2. You can run different harp sounds with various reverbs (room and plate)
that are really helpful in achieving a little more color to your playing.

3. The unit has a built in delay that is quite nice and easy to use,
especially live.

4. Which would you rather haul around? A big Bassman amp or this little bean
of a unit that weighs next to nothing?

The secret to the POD though is to work on the sounds, save them, and revise
them regularly. Experience is the key to the unit. It has a lot potential, and
I believe I am just scratching the surface of it. Enjoy the unit, and take
your time with it.

Andrew