POD and feedback.

Hey there,
Just read Ken's email with his feedback prone experiences with the POD in live
settings.  I know what he means.
But, you can avoid it and I've written up what worked for me here:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/ampdamps.html#emulators
most of the tricks involve keeping the Output Level less than half (thereby
eliminating extra hiss and digital noise <sigh>) and keeping treble low both on
the POD and the board.

There is a harsh edge to the tone no matter what you do with the POD.
It has a 16bit sound processor, theres no getting away from it.
Apparently the V-Amp by Behringer has a 20bit sound processor which is a bit
smoother, but it has a more European tendancy towards rocky tones with its
emulation, not quite as close to the original amps as the POD got.  Give it time
and maybe someone will get it right.

With the POD you can overcome the "in the room next door" effect using the notes
which I've included at the above link, and you can run the POD through a nice
powerful SS amp and turn off "AIR" in one way of dealing with it.  Its a lot of
hassle in loud settings.  They are intended for electric guitar and sound great
with electric guitar.  IronMan often said they were a good DI unit but failed to
state clearly that he uses it with his guitar.  :-)
Richard Hunter has had great success with the cheaper RP units.  Personally I
didn't find them any better than Line6 or Behringer's offerings.

For the money I'd prefer a Harp Commander.
Actually I like them so much I now have TWO!
You can do some really cool things if you work them in stereo from the same mic.
(also I'm looking to get a purpose designed preamp from Ron for saxophone
too...) http://www.holmeseng.com/HarpGear.html

Although he says "no batteries" I have built a couple of simple battery packs
that work with my Harp Commanders and use NiMH rechargables with them and get
about 6 hours or more solid playing from one pack.
Ask Ron about this, I'm sure he can work something out with you.

Best wishes
G.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/amplified.html