Re: Pignose 60 watt tube amp, green bullet

I have a G-60 and am currently using a 5751 in the first position and a
12au7 in the second position.  I like it best with an Astatic 200 (crystal).
I also use a Shure Commando (CM) which is a little too hot for the amp.  A
lot of people seem to have had good luck with replacing all of the stock
tubes with moderately better ones like Sovteks or Svetlanas.  I can't quite
make myself spring for premium NOS tubes, although my conscience tells me
it's the right thing to do.  You should be able to make it break up in the
stock configuration, although feedback will be a problem.  A 20' cord is a
big help.   Are you setting the sensitivity switch to the low position?  In
the high position, the gain and volume controls are pretty much unuseable
for harp.  You might want to try cranking up the master volume to 8 or 9 and
then adjusting the gain to the point just below feedback.  A cooler preamp
section will make adjusting the gain less of a coordination test. I keep the
presence, mid, and treble at 0 and crank the bass all the way up.

No bias adjustment required for replacing preamp tubes.  I don't think the
bias is adjustable without replacing components, because there's no trim
pot.  I replaced the power tubes with Svetlanas without a bias adjustment
and ended my hum and oscillation problems.  I'm not a golden ear, so I can't
say for sure that I optimized the sound, but it seemed to help.

Disclaimer--Everything I say could easily be wrong.  I've learned what
little I know about this from this newsgroup and other forums.  I am not an
amp tech.  I can't even solder very well.