Re: Huang harmonicas

I saw Norton Buffalo at this year's SPAH in Dallas and was, like
everyone else I suppose, mightily impressed by his ability to move from
Bluegrass to Samba, from Samba to Blues, from Blues to Pop and so
on--and to do so with such feeling authority. During his teach-in and
seminar, however, I noticed that Norton had some difficulty in playing
things softly. You could hear a full second or so of air rushing
through the harp before the reed would finally respond--and rather
thinly at that. I'm sure this was do the high action of the reed as
opposed to the general quality of the harp. But I had the impression
that Norton's dynamics were then governed, for the most part, by what
he could do with his hands. When, for example, he demonstrated his
"runaway" solo or an equally difficult passage from a Bluegrass piece,
he would sandwich four harps between the thumb and index finger of both
hands; as a consequence, he was unable to mute and/or shape the sound
as it came out. And it all seemed to be delivered at one--admittedly
impressive--pitch.--In any case, I'm simply wondering what he would
sound like if he played a harp of some other make and set his reeds at
a height lower than that which he obviously--and probably
wisely--prefers.

John