Re: Huang question

Vince Cheney asks

> > Has anyone ever had a Huang harp that lasts long
> > enought to be compaired to the Hohners or
> > Herings? I've seen the Frontier, Silvertone
> > Deluxe and the Star Performer, but have always
> > passed them by.
> > Any hope in them as a harp for pro use?

I still carry a few for those keys that I never seem to need...
The SP is the closest in physical shape to a GM, so I carry those.

My impression:
They don't respond well to my uncouth playing style (VERY thin
reeds). -When the band starts playin' and I start sweatin', I forget
most of what I tried to learn about technique and just LEAN on it.
The plating leaves something to be desired on most of the SPs & SDs
I've tried.
I don't like the "made in China" stamp on the lower cover right under
my lower lip (though it DOES give one a tactile cue as to which end of
the harp is the LOW end).
The overall build quality is less consistent than Hohners.
They don't "feel" like Hohners (the reeds, I mean).
I pulled a SD out of my back pocket once to find it had assumed a
"smiley" shape (to it's credit, it was still "playable" when I bent it
back!).

HOWEVER, the Silvertone Deluxe was the first harmonica I really began
getting expressive bends out of.
Their ease of bending (the very light "touch" required) might even be
useful in a teaching situation, I'll venture....

- -Scorcher