Re: Huang question

- --- Vince Cheney <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On this topic I ask the question.....
> Has anyone ever had a Huang harp that lasts long
> enought to be compaired to the Hohners or
> Herings? I've seen the Frontier, Silvertone
> Deluxe and the Star Performer, but have always
> passed them by.
> Any hope in them as a harp for pro use?

Hey Vince,

I got a Huang Star Performer a while back (in D) to
check out and found it to be much more airtight and
playable than I'd expected. Tone is a little thin,
compared to Hohner SP-20 and Marine Band, however,
and it didn't respond well to my aggressive
playing. Responds very well to moderate attack,
however. Probably a gapping job is in order.

Can't offer comments on longevity in a gigging
situation as I've never brought it onstage (afeared
I'd blow it out on the first song). Decent cheap
harp, however.

Yes, Norton Buffalo plays these professionally and
sounds awesome, however, I heard somewhere that he
goes through barrels of them as well (unverified
rumor).

Tonewise they don't cut it for gigging as I'm used
to the way my SP-20s sound/play/respond. Probably
worth buying one or two to check them out for
yourself.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens