RE: "Paddy Richter" tuning

Richard Hunter wrote:

>Scorcher is correct, but he should have added that the Lee Oskar Melody
>Makers are named for the key in 2nd position, not 1st position as per
>standard tunings.  So, for example, one would use the blow reedplate
>from a G Melody Maker with the draw reedplate from a standard C harp to
>make a Paddy Richter C harp
(and lots of other useful stuff for those of us who prefer the #1 Philips
approach.)
Now I can put that box of extra reedplates to work. Thanks.

Also remember that the octaves "fold" differently with the Melody Makers.
So, you need to use a low F Richter plate with a C Melody Maker plate.
This is the only pairing (out of the five Melody Maker keys available) that
requires a low Richter
plate.

I have enjoyed the Paddy tuning. I find that for "melodic" instead of
"riff" playing, the Paddy tuning blurs the distinction between first and
second position. The two positions seem more interchangeable than with a
Richter-tuned harp.