SPAH report

Some of the SPAH 2003 highlights for me....

Getting my mind blown by the playing and singing of Norton Buffalo, Mark
Ford, Paul Oscher, and Phil Wiggins....Getting an appreciation for folks
previously unknown to me, like the energy, vocals, and harp chops of
Jimi Lee, and the awesome tone and phrasing of Paul
Harrington.....Walking through the lobby and hearing Mark Graham and Tom
Sauber on some smoking fiddle tunes with a group of folks in one corner,
Bonfiglio going through a classical piece in another corner, while the
omnipresent country jam was carrying on in another corner....Not enough
time spent in the jazz club but wonderful playing heard while
there....Picking up my first custom harp from Tim Northcutt...Listening
to (and learning a bit of) Phil Wiggins' rhythm playing really up close
at the Filisko Teach-in....Meeting some new (to me) Harp-l'ers and
renewing acquaintances with some old (to me) harp-l'ers, good folks
all....Wishing I could afford to buy all the great harp CD's in the Harp
Depot and SPAH stores....Never ceasing to be amazed at the quality and
variety of playing at the blues jam (nowhere else on earth can you hear
25 consecutive harp solo's, anxiously waiting to hear what interesting
approach will be used next)..."free" beer (thanks, Jerl)...Sitting at
David Barrett's table at the teach-in and getting a real clear picture
of where I want/need to go next in my practice and playing...Wondering
how long I can go on 4 - 5 hrs sleep...Getting through a couple of solos
at the first blues jam without falling on my face...Having a great time
for 4.5 days straight!

That's just a few of the highlights.  Like Buzz said...Y'all shoulda
been there.  Hope to see ya in St. Louis!

Fred S