Re: RE: To harp retailers: who's got XB-40's??

Tim Northcutt wrote:
> I have some XB-40s in stock.
<snip>
> I know that Tim Moyer has one. Maybe he can
> give us a little insight.

Yes, I made a bee-line to the Hot Rod Harps Hospitality Suite at SPAH
and nabbed myself one of those little babies (and a cold Shiner
Bock!).  I have been playing it some.  It's very interesting.

It has a curious tone, which has been compared by some to a
chromatic.  I think it deserves some of this characterization,
although it certainly doesn't play like a chromatic.  The bends are
true double-reed bends, just like a normal diatonic, but this is no
normal diatonic.

If you go about trying to play it like your average ten-holer, the
first thing that's going to happen is you're going to start dropping
into "pot holes" where the deeper bends are available, like the 5-
draw, which barely bends at all on a normal harp, but has a whole
tone bend range on the XB-40.  Similarly, the 1 and 4 draws, which
only bend a semitone on your old harp, are going to drop a wholetone
on the XB-40.  This point was raised to Rick Epping during
his "What's new at Hohner" seminar, and his response was
interesting.  Rick maintains that too often players just take the
bend that they get in a particular place, and do not precisely try to
bend to the desired pitch.  The XB-40 will force the player to choose
the pitch of the note they want and bend precisely to that pitch.
It's more work, but the results will improve all your playing, and it
definitely opens up some new possibilities with this harp.

Of course, the blow notes all bend as well.  I also found that it's
fairly easy to translate some simple overblowing to the XB-40.  Where
you used to overblow 1, 4, 5, 6 to get notes a half step higher than
the blow note, you can now move up a hole and blow bend *down* to
that note.  It takes a little thought, but can be done.

I've heard people suggest that the XB-40 is really useful for
positions other than 2nd, but I haven't begun to explore that yet.  I
have been enjoying translating some of the standards that I used to
play with overblows onto this harp and having the extra bends for
ornamentation is nice.  I don't see it replacing all the standard
harps in most people's gig bags, particularly if you are primarily a
2nd position I-IV-V player, but it's definitely worth checking out.

- -tim