SPAH Convention Report

I thought about writing a sort of diary of my SPAH 2003 convention experience,
and quickly realized that I simply couldn't remember all the details of those
four days, but maybe I can recapture some of the highlights.

First of all, at the risk of soundling like I'm tooting our own horn, I have to
say that our local club did a fantastic job of organizing and executing the
convention.  I had little to nothing to do with it, my time being very
constrained prior to the convention, but there was no detail left unattended by
HOOT.  The venue was great, very conducive to pick-up jams and impromptu
concerts as well as the larger events and performances.  The staff at the hotel
was friendly and efficient, and boy we kept those bartenders hopping!  The
slate of performers was excellent, and the seminar content was great.  Thanks
to Tom Ellis, Paul Davies, Al Scifres and Jerl Welch for all they put into the
event.  Even the t-shirts were excellent, thanks to local graphic artist and
harmonicist Hank Black.

Performance highlights for me were Austin's Jimmy Lee (who played Whammer
Jammer with the harp in a rack, accompanying himself on guitar), Dallas' Tim
Harris with Willie D, Paul Harrington, The Dallas Harmonica Trio, Phil Wiggins,
Gregoire Maret, Mark Ford, and Norton Buffalo.  At the seminars I got to spend
time with Jimmy Gordon, Richard Sleigh, Rob Paparozzi, Norton Buffalo and Rosco
Selley.

But for me, the convention was as notable for what happened off the program as
on.  Hallway and lounge area jams included some of the finest harmonica players
in the world, and regular guys like me got to play alongside the likes of Allen
Radcliffe-Holmes, George Brooks, Paul Messinger, Phil Wiggins, Kirk Johnson,
James Conway, Larry Isenberg and many more of the presenters and performers.
There were so many great names there, I can't even remember them all.  The
Texas contingent was well represented by the various HOOT chapters and many
local area players who just dropped in.  And once again I had the great
pleasure of putting faces with may of the names I see regularly on this and
other harmonica lists.  I hope no one gets insulted if their name wasn't
included, there are just too many to remember.

Buzz's blues jams were amazing collections of talent.  Once again, Joe Filisko
and John Costa were the pillars of the backing music, with the patience of
saints as 20-30 players took their 24 bars in turn.  Added to that at various
times were many other folks, including Richard Sleigh's guitar, Jimmy Lee
adding some interesting twists and nice vocals to the mix, and again, other
significant contributors from time to time.

For four days I got to stop being husband, father, computer programmer,
neighbor, home owner and all the other roles that fill my busy life, and be a
full time harmonica player, and it was wonderful.  I got by on way too little
sleep and lots and lots of adrenalin.  I'm already making plans for SPAH2004 in
St. Louis, and I hope to see you all there.

- -tim