Re: Get me going on the blues - 25yrs

- --- Ron/datadigr wrote:
<<snipp>>
> By the way--another hint (and I pass this along
> to the beginner players I teach): if you want to
> know who you should pay attention to when you're
> playing--and especially when you're developing
> solos--pay special attention to the bass lines;
> that's where the signatures are (or should be),
> that's where the groove is (or should be,)...
<<snipp>

Oh Boy! I agree with you wholeheartedly on this.
Every song has it's own groove or hook, and the
place to find it is with the bass player.
Emulate/play off of that bass line (or parts of it)
and you're gonna be deep in the pocket, even if
it's a song you've never played over before. This
is ~especially~ valuable at open jams.

Once you're in sync with the bass, then you can
pick up licks and phrases from the other lead
instruments, and when it comes time for your solo
you've got plenty of foundation on which to build
something fine and ideal for that particular song.

Harpin'in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens