Re: Get Me Going on the Blues

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Bonfiglio" <bon@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 10:32 AM
Subject: Get Me Going on the Blues

> Playing out of the pocket doesn't just apply to blues players - the same
> can be said for classical music where players just don't get it
> rhythmically.  The sound ends up like computers playing the music with no
> streching of notes, understanding of pickups and phrasing and the accents
> in all the wrong places.
>
> The same is true of jazz and country.  I remember just how great Donny
> Brooks' country solos were in all the session work in New York. I still
> miss him and his wonderful playing.  It was great to hear Kirk "Jelly
Roll"
> Johnson at SPAH and how he phrased.  As he said so often "Less is more."
> His "less" was always in the pocket.
>
> Harmonically yours,
>
> Robert Bonfiglio
>
> http://www.robertbonfiglio.com

Hi,
How very true that is! I've often had conversations with other harp players
about being able to play all different genres of music, and many times I've
said I'd probably need 3 lifetimes to do it right, because unlike the "Jack
Of All Trades, Master Of None," types, I'd want to make sure I knew ALL the
ins and outs of each genre so that whenever I do anything in any of them, I
would want to be damned sure that it ALWAYS fit properly winthin the context
and feels like it BELONGS there, rather than use the "five easy lessons"
type of approach that just merely skims the surface.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA