Get Me Going on the Blues

Playing out of the pocket doesn't just apply to blues players - the same
can be said for classical music where players just don't get it
rhythmically.  The sound ends up like computers playing the music with no
streching of notes, understanding of pickups and phrasing and the accents
in all the wrong places.

The same is true of jazz and country.  I remember just how great Donny
Brooks' country solos were in all the session work in New York. I still
miss him and his wonderful playing.  It was great to hear Kirk "Jelly Roll"
Johnson at SPAH and how he phrased.  As he said so often "Less is more."
His "less" was always in the pocket.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio

http://www.robertbonfiglio.com