Re: removing 1 of the 7591 power tubes

Well since I was mentioned I'll come out of lurker status momentarilly...I've
been real busy of late to partake in a lot of the discussions lately.  Yeah, I
did read the original post and I think that is some pretty drastic measures to
do to an amp.  There are much less invasive measures that one can do to that amp
the make it sound good for harp.  Specifics; I don't have a schematic in front
of me so I really comment...if you can find me a schematic online, if I have
time I can make some suggestions.  Reading the Gerry Weber article is a step
worth taking, though I don't always agree with everything he says, plus, I know
of some more tricks and tweaks that might help.  BTW, any amp that uses 7591
tubes are usually great sounding amps, it just might take some power supply and
frequency response tweaking to get that amp to sound good for harp.  Replacing a
good, original output transformer is really dumb IMHO and will definitely
depreciate any collectable value of the amp.  If you want a single ended class A
7591 amp, try to find one of the Premier Twin 8's that use a 7591 power tube, I
have one and they sound incredible for harp, though the power may be a bit low
for gigging purposes with a loud band...keep the Ampeg for what it is, yeah you
can do some mods/tweaks to it, but don't try to make it something it's
not...just my opinion.

Good luck,
Don D.