Re: "Paddy Richter" tuning

Larry Boy wrote:
> The question I have for the harp techs is, Would you re-tune the
> 3-blow reed or would you just replace the 3-blow reed with a reed
> of the correct note?  It seems liek a replaced reed would last
> longer.

If tuning is done properly, it should last as long as a replacement,
in my opinion.  Tuning should be gentle and in some cases can even
improve the condition of the reed by smoothing milling marks.

Larry, I'd say this is a perfect chance to learn some basic tuning
skills, and it's fairly simple.  It's only one reed retune.

I have a whole set of paddy richter harps and love to play them.  Do
all your normal blues licks and they just have a slightly different
flavor when you cross that note.  Tunes that have a strong melody
component can benefit from being able to hold that scale note cleanly
without bending down to it.  Add a 5 overblow and you've got the
second position major scale in the second octave.

- -tim