Re: Whadda SPAH !

At 19:49 24/08/2003 -0500, Fred S wrote:

>Just wanted to say a big thanks to Tom Ellis, Jerl Welch,.HOOT, and all
>the SPAH folks for putting on one helluva convention.

Yes... quite a convention... 40th Anniversary for SPAH!

When thanking people for a great music fest one musn't forget...

Anne Welch (Jerl's wife) who masterminded the 'spouse's activities, Hank
Black, the designer of those wonderful T-shirts and the program cover, Bev
Windham for all her background work in preparation of documents, John
Halovanic for the brilliant website which kept us all informed, Al
Scifres... the Big Man of HOOT who did so much of the coordination work.
Then, of course, yes... the SPAH folk!  Paul Davies, our Secretary, who
stepped in and took over the complete management of the thing and made it
smooth, Jack Ely, the Quiet Man of SPAH getting things done, Roger and
Nancy Bale who made certain every last one of you was properly registered,
Gene Hansen our treasurer allowing you to buy great CDs in 'his' shop, Paul
Metris hustling you for raffle/t shirt money, Geoff Chance stepping in to
help on sound at the last minute... Judy Smith cutting and pasting the program.

All of these people are the ones you 'see' doing obvious things.  Both HOOT
and SPAH have many others beavering away below the public surface doing the
stamp licking and picture hanging!

We were lucky this year to have the Irving Convention & Visitors Bureau
taking part and giving a great boost (you needed to have seen Jennifer
Harrington, their Manager, last year performing on stage on a harmonica she
had only taken up a couple of days previously!!)

One thing most people forget is that a hotel also has to be cooperative and
helpful otherwise the whole thing can be difficult. The Harvey Hotel was
brilliant, and their 'front', in the shape of Emily Spencer, made us feel
totally comfortable throughout our 18 months of negotiation... a BIG thank
you to the staff of the Hotel for putting up with 16 hours/day (and more)
of several hundred people blowing mouthorgans at reasonable volume for 4.5
days(and nights).

Even though  they are commercial organisations, we are lucky in the
involvement and commitment that Harp Depot and Hohner showed in their
contribution... I'm sure they give more than they get! (Lee Oskar also.. he
unfortunately couldn't come, but he certainly contributed)

But the whole convention was about music and the harmonica...  Music
aplenty provided by stellar musicians at FAR less than their normal fees...
or free in many cases.  The same with seminar givers and teachers. No
names, there are just too many of them. THEY were the ones you came to see
and hear.

SO... a thank you to ALL of the people in both HOOT and SPAH for the 18
months of hard work behind the scenes and up front... not one of them got a
single cent for doing  any of this.

However, I doubt there was one of them who didn't get a helluva lot of
satisfaction out of the result!

OK FOLKS... buckle down  ... we have to get on and organize for St Louis
next year!

Douglas Tate
President ... SPAH