removing 1 of the 7591 power tubes

Thanks all for on and off list techy advice lately.  Here's another.  An amp tech was thinking of turning my 1967 (probably) Ampeg Reverbojet (J12R) from a 2 7591 powered amp into a 2 6V6 or 6L6, but found the rewiring job to be too extensive.  We are working from the premise that the amp is too clean as is for the harp sound I would like.  So, what he did was remove one of the 7591's, rebias the stock cathode bias circuit, and change the output transformer concluding that I now have a "true class A output section."   The idea is that it is lower powered and will be "cranked" at reasonable volume.   I don't actually comprehend most of this!  Does it sound logical, especially from a harp perspective?  I'm outta town and won't get to test it out until late next week.  He's not a harp player, so I hope he's not coming too much from a guitar perspective and turning the amp into a harp feedback machine!  (He said he put the stock 12ax7's back in and it "screams."  Hopefully it wo!
n't
 scream too much with a JT30 plugged in -- easy enough to put the lower power preamp tubes back in; heck, in the big picture, it's easy enough to turn it back into a 2 7591 amp if necessary -- we'll see, er, hear.)  Perhaps this amp should really belong to a jazz guitarist, but it landed on a harp player for now.  Any thoughts?  Much thanks.  I'll report back after I've tried it out.  --john k.

Do you Yahoo!?