Re: Get me going on the blues - 25yrs

I agree about the groove.
I once got an on-stage lesson on behind the beat playing from Sunnyland
Slim. He started a song by just playing a chord count on all four beats. Not
knowing what he was going to play, and being the only one on stage other
than him, I started to play on the fours with him. After a couple of bars he
began to drag, just slightly, behind the count on 2 and 4, creating a slight
echo behind my harp chords. We kept that up for a while, just me hitting all
four and Slim varying his fill runs behind a beat here, in front of the beat
there, etc. After a while the crowd was quietly clapping the count for us so
we both just used them for the beat and played off, around, behind, and in
front of, each other. Done got schooled with a smile!

Now combine that "groove" (as laid down by bob below) with the melancholy
strains that just twist your guts in certain Irish music and y'all will have
your stone ground down but good then, my friend.