Re: Get me going on the blues (playing the groove)

Wow. I am so glad someone decided to address this issue. I don't have a
whole incredible lot to say in response to it, but I have to thank Bob
Maglinte for commenting on it. The one thing I wanted to stress was that
playing behind the beat primarily creates tension which, in my opinion, is
one of the things that makes the blues what it is. Constant use of tension
to keep a listener's ears perked is key. The other thing I wanted to bring
up was swing tunes. Making your music swing is an amazingly difficult skill
to learn proficiently. A guitarist friend of mine (It's Rusty Bogart, so
you know you can respect his advice) told me simply that the secret to
swinging is to accent the one in the first bar and then the two in the
second bar and repeat. So it goes ONE two three four, one TWO three four,
ONE two three four, one TWO three four. If you listen to William Clarke,
Little Walter, or Kim Wilson, you'll find you can hear them doing that when
they want a tune to swing.

That's all I've got to say. Hopefully this helps someone. And once again,
cheers to Bob for writing out that beautiful tutorial on groove. Maybe
he'll have something to say about swinging?

Love,

~Me