Re: Get Me Going on the Blues

Switching from traditional Irish to the blues on harp, given the technical
skills you already have, will probably involve listening to and learning a
musical form and *feel* more than anything else.

CD's of classic players to get:

Little Walter-The Chess Years 1952-1963 (a 4 CD set on Charly Records, 1992)
- - a broad compilation of LW's Chess stuff, with alternate takes and most all
the classics

The Essential Sonny Boy Williamson (2 CD set on Chess/MCA 1993) - a great
Sonny Boy II collection

Chicago-The Blues Today! (3 CD set on Vanguard, 1999) - Big Walter, Junior
Wells, James Cotton, Charlie Musselwhite - a great collection.

Jimmy Reed - The Vee-Jay Years (6 CD set on Charly Records 1994) - Simple
high end blow bends over hypnotic guitar that is instantly recognizable.

George "Harmonica" Smith - Now You Can Talk About Me (Blind Pig Records 1998)
- - George influenced most of the modern players with tone and 3rd position
chromatic

The Jerry Portnoy Instructional CD set is nice in that it covers specific
techniques, has samples of Jerry playing them, then at the end, has a number of
play along cuts with Duke Robillard on guitar and, 1st Jerry playing along,
then the same guitar track with no harp so you can play. Jerry emphasizes the use
of the harp as a rhythm instrument, something that lots of players I've heard
don't emphasize enough. The set  really doen't rely on written material much
at all.

More modern CD's to get:

William Clarke - Tip of the Top (King Ace Music, 2000)
Jimmy Rogers - Ludella (Antones Records 1990 - Kim Wilson on harp)
Rod Piazza - Alpabet Blues
Little Charlie & the Nightcats (Rick Estrin on Harp) (alligator Records)
Mark Hummel - *ANY* album/CD
Hollywood Fats Band (Al Blake on Harp)

I'm still learning the blues harp myself.

When I was in the UK 2 weeks ago, I stopped in to play at the Monday jam at a
nice little club called Ain't Nothin But the Blues Bar
http://www.aintnothinbut.co.uk/

The place was packed with people who loved the blues. The jam leader was a
pro and nice guy too.

Andy Vincent