re: Get me going on the blues

<quote>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:54:40 +0100
From: "Stephen Shaw" <moorcot@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Get me going on the blues
I have been playing diatonic harp for 10 years or more, mostly in Irish
traditional music.  Suppose - JUST SUPPOSE - I wanted to branch out into
blues playing.  How would I get started?  If you feel like answering read
the following first   #;-)

(1) There are to my knowledge no blues jams/sessions within easy reach (I
live in the middle of nowhere in a rural part of the UK), so learning by
going to these is not really an option.
8<
(3) I am already proficient in the following:  clean single-note playing;
bending low-draw and high-blow notes;  1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (a bit) and 12th
position playing (though I spend most of my time in 1st position).  I can
also impress my more gullible friends with those funny flutters you can do
with adjacent draw notes, and can make bluesy if amateurish sounds using my
hands/embouchure.

8<
(5) I understand the importance of cultivating good acoustic tone
unamplified, but am used to playing amplified too.
8<
Steve Shaw.
</quote>

The answer is easy.
Listen to lots of blues on albums, by becoming familiar with the music you'll
imbed the style and form and feel of blues so that you'll hear it and hum it.
If you can hum it you'll be able to play it.  And practise playing along with
those albums with your harmonicas regularly.

1st, 2nd, 3rd positions are all you need to play the majority of traditional
Chicago blues, 12th (1st flat) and 5th positions are less common.

Chromatics used in the traditional chicago blues style are generally played
chordally in third position without using the slide - everything is in D minor,
or hold the slide in and play everything in Eb minor.  Its easy and it sounds
great, lots of octaves and rythmic tongue slaps.

Jerry Portnoy's Blues Harmonica Master Class is an excellent kick starter to
blues techniques, its all on CD, so no reading and very very little theory...
use your ears.

Albums to listen to are numerous - it also depends on what KIND of blues you
want to play.   Typically harmonica players enjoy playing "Chicago" blues from
around the 50s and 60s.  My suggestions include:
Deep Harmonica Blues compilation
Harp Blues compilation
Kings of Blues compilation
Essential Blues compilation
(A good way to hear a bunch of different players)
The Essential Little Walter double CD set. (worth every dollar)
and Confessin' the Blues by Little Walter.
Sonny and Brownie by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee (and just about anything
else by these two)
"Fine Cuts" by Walter Horton
"King Biscuit Time" and "Stop Crying" Sonny Boy Williamson
"Tiger Man" and "Smokin' Joint" by Kim Wilson
"Past Life Blues" by Steve Guyger
and there are loads more. Look out for albums including the above players as
well as  John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Freddie King,
Taj Mahal...

If you are more interested in early blues up to the 1930s check out Pat Missin's
page: http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q18.html  as well as
Planet Harmonica's article on Train Imitations by JJ Milteau:
http://www.planetharmonica.com/ph2/VE/Train&HarmoUK.htm

Robert Johnson is a great name in early blues and there are tribute albums to
his name.  Also Scott Ainslie (one among the living) is an amazing blues dobro
player, I have his album "Terraplane" which is great stuff.

Practise practise practise, and more importantly Listen, listen, listen...

Best regards,
G.