Mics and "acoustic" harmonica

I've been playing harp for 3 years.  All this time, I
played with a blues/rock band.  I used a handheld mic
(Shaker mic) and had no problems getting the dirty,
bluesy sound I needed.  Now I am starting a new gig
with a country band and need a clean,natural harmonica
tone.  The problem is getting a microphone to pick up
this tone.

I have been using a Shure SM58 vocal mic plugged
directly into the PA, but I cannot seem to get any
volume unless I cup the mic, which makes the sound too
"electric" for the band I'm with.  Same goes for
plugging the mic into an amp.

I apologize if this question has been covered (which
I'm sure it has), but I could not access the list
archives or find any reference material that helped me
out.

Any advice?

Ben