Re: rick estrin & magic dick

 jandkday@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<<       Charlie Batey is an exceptional guitar player and Rick Estrin is very
 impressive as a songwriter and a showman.  It is in the tradtion of the old
 blues man to be sort of a comedian,vaduville trickster and all around
 entertainer. It is why James Harman et. al, are such fresh performers.  I
 have always been a big fan of Little Charlie & the Nightcats. >>

yeah, a fine fine set.  the other thing i liked that i forgot to mention (and
this is probably contrary to harp players) was that estrin's harp didn't
dominate.  his solo time was balanced with with baty's...no more than 60/40.  he
played some great rhythm and back-up stuff.  on about a quarter of the songs he
didn't even pick up the harp.  i found this to be pretty refreshing.

bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< In the mid to late 60's here in the Boston area (the original home base for
 J. Geils), they were a real blues band (oh yes, The J. Geils Blues Band)
 before they signed with Atlantic in the early 70's, and was a band John Lee
 Hooker loved quite the bit, ao I think you may want to rethink the comment a
 bit. >>
i concur.  when they played blues, they played ~blues~, even after they
signed to atlantic.  like the butterfield band, they had there own twist on it,
reflective of their times and of having absorbed other music as well.  respectful
without being reverent, authentic without being slavish.  to my ears, anyway.

steven j gatorman