Re: Rick Estrin & Magic Dick

What a great back to back show of harp prowess and swingin' blues!

Little Charlie & the Nightcats are *always* a great show as well as great
music - they have the whole package from clothes, attitude, showmanship,
songwriting, on down to musicianship, tone, phrasing, groove, and swing. I love the
humour in many Nightcats songs, and Rick Estrin delivers the feel of the songs
as a consumate vocalist and front man. Even if you never saw the band and their
polished act, the musicianship could easily stand on its own.

Rick Estrin is easily in top 5 living harp players IMHO. He has great
phrasing, inventiveness & tone. He nails SBWII, does a nice job on chromatic, and has
his own instantly recognizable style. The thing he most impresses me with is
his fabulous use of hand effects (when playing "accoustic" into the PA mic,
but even more impressively with a bullet mic amplified) to add his trademark
expressiveness. I think Estrin does this better than just about anybody.

I gotta say that I thought Magic Dick and J. Geils in their Bluestime guise
were excellent. The ensemble playing of the musicians was top notch. The
drummer and upright bass were excellent, and the 2nd guitar did some nice interplay
with J. Geils, particularly on Pontiac Blues. I though Magic Dick had a wry
sense of humour and some pretty nice harp chops as well. Having enjoyed the 1st
Bluestime CD, I wasn't looking for a reprise of the Full House Album, but I
must admit I was greatful to hear Dick wail through Whammer Jammer and those
primal top end blow bends!

As Barbeque Bob mentions, blues was what brought the J. Geils band together
early on. The hard driving rock blues came with Peter Wolf, and a brief period
of great music that was comercially successful. Then they went down the MTV
crapper with stuff like Angel in the Centerfold..... (it was *my* blood running
cold...). The Bluestime stuff really showcases some sweet harp and ES 335
swing/blues guitar.

A great harp day, back to back!

They were followed by Otis Rush.... I hate to say it, but I had that "gee, I
wish I saw Otis 20 years ago" feeling watching him play out of tune as many
patrons packed up to go home. Its a damn shame legends like Otis Rush have to
play beyond their prime to make up for the money they *should* have been paid
years ago.... His band was awesome on their opening 2 numbers, then it was
showtime for a legend, and a letdown.

I do pass on kudos to the Diamond State Blues Society for the back to back
harp fest Sunday.

Andy Vincent