Re: 545

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lipkind" <ddlip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I have been using my 545 on and off for a few years.  Mine rarely gives me
> feedback problems, and breaks up easily.  It works great with all of my
> amps.  I usually play through a '59 Ampgeg Jet with 1-10'' Jensen.  It
also
> has worked great with larger amps.  I have never used it through a p.a.,
but
> I assume it would not be hot enough, b/c this mic is high impedence.

Actually, they sound great through a PA. As long as you have a PA with both
high and low impedance inputs (which almost all of them do). In fact, when I
run both a 545 and an SM-58 into the mixer, the 545 is a tad louder.

The only problem with high impedance mics is that you can't use long cords
with them. But if you can get the mic close enough to the mixer (20' or
less) the 545 sounds great. It's a common misconception that high impedance
mics don't sound as good or loud through a PA as low impedance mics. From my
experience, the only down side to a good high-z mic is that you must use a
cable 20' or shorter.

Alec Drachman
http://www.bluecats.org