re: Lip (Canker) Sores

> Steve/n0tu wrote:
>
> > The QUESTION: Is it common amongst you 'old blues
dawgs' <meant here as
> > complement> to get sores on the INSIDE of your
lips

Linda Delong <delongj@xxxx> wrote:
>I don't
> have them in the corners of my mouth since I'm not a
TBer - I have them toward
> the center of my lips where the harp touches while
playing with a pucker and lip
> block.No soreness just some very small, deep
blister-like things.

hey guys,

   i think what we're talking about here are canker
sores:
(http://familydoctor.org/handouts/613.html)(http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/health-info/dis-cond/misc/cankerso.html)
   since i got to be about 20 i've had them pretty
frequently. they aren't contagious, they aren't, as
far as i know, caused by disease and they are NOT
related to cold sores.
   i don't know how related they are to harp playing.
most of the ones i get seem unrelated, though i do
sometimes get one on the left side of my mouth, right
where my lips meet. this happens most often when, like
steve, i've been playing along time and using TB on
the low holes (because the left edge of the bottom
coverplate scrapes on that area). somtimes it'll
happen if i bite the inside of my lip by accident
(like when chewing on something. obviously, physical
stress can be a factor in causing them. i don't know
about the metals in the covers however. it seems
doubtful to me that it's a cause.
   most of the time i just ignore them. they hurt, but
it isn't fatal ;) if they REALLY bother me or i need
to get rid of them i'll use a product like Cank-Aid.
you can find stuff like that at any drugstore, by the
toothbrushes and pastes, usually. they aren't magic,
but it can help.
    i do wish someone would round off those edges on
the sides of the coverplates though. it would help.

     --Jp