Re: Shure 545S

If you look through the entire Shure 545 series list you'll notice that
the 545SD does in fact come with an XLR connector.  Andrew seems to feel
strongly about things, good or bad.  I'll say this, I got given this 545
and had it for years.  I tried it out once or twice and was not
impressed.  At the time I used a very good 520D for gigging.  Mark
Burness posted about the 545 and passed along the information that some
of the 545's can be impedance swapped if you use an Astatic pinout XLR
to 1/4" cord.  I happened to have one lying around and tried the mic one
more time.  I can honestly say that I haven't gigged using the 520D
since.  I took this particular microphone to Buckeye 2 years back and we
A/B'd it against an older vintage 545, mine had noticeably more output
and held its own in the tone department.  Ask George Brooks or Tom
Albanese if they liked the mic.  Of course my personal experience is
with just one microphone and I believe Andrew sells microphones so I'm
guessing his sample may be larger.  I do wonder if he was using the mics
low impedance, they are pretty so so wired low.  There's Richard
Hunter's recent epiphany, different amps sound good with different mics
and vice versa.  While hyperbole has its uses I find that my actual
experience of the world tends to shades of grey rather than the
previously described black and white.  fjm