Shure 545S

Recent posts on the Shure 545S have helped me remember that I used to have
the URL for Shure discontinued products.  I lost it when my hard dive died.
But now I've found it again.  This site has spec sheets for the whole series
of 545s.

http://www.shure.com/datasheets/guides-discontinued.html

The545s are dual impedence mics and came wired for low impedence.  The spec
sheets have instructions for wiring at high impedence.  Reading over the
spec sheets the whole 545 series (545, 545S, 545D, 545SH are pretty
identical.   They were highly touted as preventing feedback, or at least
reducing it.   I believe all of them came with a four pin connector that
screwed onto the end of the mic.  Perhaps Andrew's 545 that "sucks" is wired
for low impedence and is causing an impedence mismatch.  I re-wired mine to
convert the 4 pin connector into a female 1/4" phone jack.  I like this mic
a lot, although I haven't used it much lately.  Its a very loud mic.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt