Re: Concerning Canned Heat in Santa Clarita

In a message dated 8/12/03 9:14:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rlaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> To any of you who know:
>
> Is Stanley Behrens using one of the Shure 545 series mikes here:
>
> <A HREF="http://www.bassharp.com/cannedheat.htm";>http://www.bassharp.com/cannedheat.htm</A>
>
> specifically,,here:
>
> <A HREF="http://www.bassharp.com/canheat05.htm";>http://www.bassharp.com/canheat05.htm</A>
>
> I've been using a 57beta and a 520DX. The Green Bullet is a bit bulkier than
> I'd prefer, and the 57beta (the heavier duty version) is nice, but straight,
> and tends to want to make me bow down from the weight out there in front. I
> haven't tried the 545 yet, but it looks attractive, balanced in weight and
> small enough to cup sufficiently, unlike the Bullet.
>
> Any comments on the 545, versus the others?
>
> Bob Laughlin,,,the "other" Bob

Yes,

That is indeed a Shure 545S he is playing. A great microphone (commonly used
by Butterfield), it has tight bottom end with very nice top end that is much
like the Shure 57, but not as sterile. I would suggest a vintage Shure 545SD
which looks like a Shure 57, except silver looking with a switch on it. Don't go
for one of the newer ones with the XLR's, they suck and sound horrible. Shure
545SD's have been dropping off in price so now is a good time to start
looking around for one. I have yet to really run across a bad vintage Shure 545.
They typically sound very good, and play very nice. A great all around harp mic!

Andrew