THE BLUES on PBS (long)

Hi,

I Just got this from Jim Primrock of the Colorado
Blues Society. Thought the blues harp community
might be interested. Sounds like the series should
be a wonderful. Still time to figure out how to use
your VCR to record. :-)

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

- --- Jim Primock <jprimock@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin Scorsese Presents THE BLUES on PBS
>
> "The Blues are the roots; everything else is the
> fruits." -- Willie Dixon
>
> THE BLUES, executive produced by Martin Scorcese
> and exclusively sponsored by Volkswagen of
> America, Inc., is a seven-part television series
> driven by the beat of performances by famous
> players from every kind of music the blues has
> inspired - hip-hop, rhythm and blues, soul,
> country and rock 'n' roll.
>
> THE BLUES will be televised nationally on PBS
> from 9-11pm on the following dates: (Check local
> listings for exact broadcast dates and times.)
>
> SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2003: "FEEL LIKE GOING
> HOME"
> Director Martin Scorsese (The Last Waltz, Raging
> Bull, Gangs of New York) pays homage to the
> Delta blues. Musician Corey Harris travels
> through Mississippi and on to West Africa,
> exploring the roots of the music. The film
> celebrates the early Delta bluesmen through
> original performances (including Willie King,
> Taj Mahal, Otha Turner and Ali Farka Touré) and
> rare archival footage (featuring Son House, Muddy
> Waters and John Lee Hooker).
>
> MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2003: "THE SOUL OF A MAN"
> Director Wim Wenders (Buena Vista Social Club;
> Wings of Desire; Paris, Texas) explores the
> lives of his favorite blues artists - Skip
> James, Blind Willie Johnson and J. B. Lenoir -
> in a film that is part history and part personal
> pilgrimage. The film tells the story of these
> lives in music through a fictional film-within-a-
> film, rare archival footage, and covers of
> their songs by contemporary musicians, including
> Bonnie Raitt, Lucinda Williams, Lou Reed, Eagle
> Eye Cherry, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, The Jon
> Spencer Blues Explosion, Cassandra Wilson,
> Garland Jeffreys, Los Lobos and others.
>
> TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2003: "THE ROAD TO
> MEMPHIS"
> Director Richard Pearce (The Long Walk Home, Leap
> of Faith, A Family Thing) traces the musical
> odyssey of blues legend B.B. King in a film that
> pays tribute to the city that gave birth to a new
> style of blues. Pearce's homage to Memphis
> features original performances by B.B. King,
> Bobby Rush, Rosco Gordon and Ike Turner, as well
> as historical footage of Howlin' Wolf and
> Fats Domino.
>
> WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2003: "WARMING BY THE
> DEVIL'S FIRE"
> Director Charles Burnett (Killer of Sheep, My
> Brother's Wedding, To Sleep with Anger) presents
> a tale about a young boy's encounter with his
> family in Mississippi in 1955, and
> intergenerational tensions between the heavenly
> strains of gospel and the devilish moans of the
> blues.
>
> THURSDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2003: "GODFATHERS AND SONS"
> Director Marc Levin (Slam, Whiteboys, Brooklyn
> Babylon) travels to Chicago with hip-hop legend
> Chuck D (of Public Enemy) and Marshall Chess
> (son of Leonard Chess and heir to the Chess
> Records legacy) to explore the heyday of
> [...]

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens