Re: Blues Blaster Harmonica Mic??

<quote>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:30:12 EDT
From: Moandabluz@xxxxxxx
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:=201490=20Blues=20Blaster=20Harmonica=20Mic=A0?=
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A0?=

I have a new Blues Blaster, but I don't care for the sound. I liked the idea of
having one mic with a volume control, though. I have an old JT30 that just
screams and a Green Bullet that is also much better sounding. The blue Blaster
looks good .

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp
</quote>

I have a 1944 JT30 mic shell and new crystal element from Tom's Mics which just
wails its a great mic.  Although I find crystal sharp and piercing compared to
ceramics, CM or CR elements - its not my favourite, but I wouldn't put them
down.

Crystal elements by nature vary in quality from one to the next.  As the
elements are no longer in production, whatever is coming out on the shelves now
are using the last of whatever stock is available.  I've heard some pretty
unhappy reviews lately.  Read into that what you will.

Its a fun adventure getting into rig gear, and the first few purchases seem
monumental... but as you do it more and more the amount you feel comfortable
spending goes up with more insight as you get burnt and hit good combinations.

To make life a little bit easier for the neophite gear hunter I've written up a
few pages about mics, amps, effects and amplifying harmonica.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/amplified.html

I personally prefer the ball and stick SM58 vocal mic over the wand style SM57.
Their response range is identical, but the SM57 compresses the tone making it
sound rocky to my ears, and its hard for me to hold without getting cramp.

Cheers
G.