Re: diminished chro (was "new harp from brendan")

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jp Pagan" <jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx>

> you lucky lucky son of a sailor. i just got a
> diminished tuned tenor C (not from Brendan) not too
> long ago. mine is fully valved, but i'm considering
> turning it into a half-valved.

==============================
Yeah, I guess I figured that if I wanted to really try half-valved, it would
have to be set up right...at least getting it through Brendan I knew that I
was trying it as it should be... I'm sure others can do it too, but *I*
certainly couldn't! (assure that it was airtight enough in other respects,
etc.)  Heh - I wasnt even going to GET half-valved, but Brendan convinced
me!  Not much to lose by trying it...
 ===============================

> > The hard part about the tuning at the moment is that
> it's so easy to get lost...But again, a matter of
> time...
> >

> i've had a really good luck with learning this tuning,
> compared to the solo tuning. the only key i could find
> my way around was D (3rd pos.) but on the diminished,
> it was only a matter of weeks before i started to feel
> like i knew more less where the notes were. of course,
> i start to get lost when i try to improvise or when i
> just try to play along to something, but it happens
> less often than it did with solo, and scales i've
> found easy to figure out and remember.

==================================
Hey, interesting that it was easier for you.  In solo (or bebop) I found the
different layout in each hole to be a "sign post" of sorts, to always let me
know where I was.  That's what I'm missing here in dimi land...
======================================

> you'll have tell me more about what you think of that.
> the half-valving will allow you to bend all the draw
> notes, with the button in or out, down a half-step.
> these bends are just like on a regular diatonic (i.e.,
> they involve both blow and draw reeds). if you're
> playing a Tenor C, Brendan probably left some of the
> very bottom valves on, because otherwise it's too
> leaky (at least that's what he says)

=================================
naw, just normal C, and unvalved all the way down.
====================================

> i've already learned a thing or two about how scales
> are constructed, and chords. that's one of the great
> things. think of that C chord you normally have in the
> blow plane. on the dimmie, it's just blow 1, then
> button in for blow 2 and 3. and blow with the button
> in and you have the Bb. and if you think in half-steps
> (not necessarily button movement) you have same
> relationship all over the harp.

Right, or in minor thirds anyway - or one hole up or down - is that what
you're referring to?  Yeah, I'm wondering if that is good or bad - knowing
that some phrases lie better on harmonica than others, I guess I'm wondering
if I'm going to start playing the same in every fourth key...ie, playing all
the same phrases in C, Eb, Gb, A, etc...

> anyway... enjoy, and please keep us (especially me!)
> posted on your progress.
>
>      --Jp

Sure will - and likewise, I hope!

Jason