Re: Hohner 1490 Blues Blaster Harmonica Mic

Andrew wrote:
"For the money you can get a a much better harp mic (than the Blues
Blaster) at a better price. Look around for a Shure 57 used or an old
Shure 545SD or Shure 545S.  Any of these three is a much better
microphone than the Blues Blaster. Try the Shure 57 first..."

I agree that these are all good mics, and the Shure 57 at a current new
price of about $80 (used at $50 and down) is a good deal for a mic that
will last a lifetime and be useful for all sorts of projects.  Entire
bands have been recorded for commercial projects with this mic.  It's
popular with pros from Rob Paparozzi to Clint Hoover to Toots
Thielemans, too, as the Pro Pages at my website (see the URL below)
demonstrate.

However, I'm very much aware lately that different mics intereact with
specific amps in very different ways.  A mic that sounds wonderful with
one amp may sound terrible with another.  Further, a given player's idea
of a "great sound" may vary dramatically from that of another player's,
and ultimately what matters most is whether the sound inspires the
player.

Therefore, my advice is that anyone considering a mic should try that
mic in combination with the amp (and any other outboard gear) that will
be used with the mic. The best way to do that is to go to the local
store with money in one hand and amp in the other, plug in, and check it
out.

If you get an incredible deal, of course, just buy the mic.  I picked up
one mic at a yard sale for $1.  Not a lot of downside risk there.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter
htttp://www.hunterharp.com