RE: Daily Almanac - August 8

Peter Krampert wrote (regarding harmonica in the movies:
"Also, speaking of William Galison,  check out his harmonica
playing on the song "For Once in My Life" on the soundtrack of "The
Truth
About Cats and Dogs".  He takes on a harmonica classic and makes it his
own. Truly remarkable."

This is indeed beautiful playing, and for a harmonica player justifies
the cost of the video rental.  (The movie isn't bad either.)  However,
unless I'm mistaken, the harmonica on the soundtrack of this movie was
played by Tommy Morgan, not William Galison.  I believe it so states in
the movie's credits.

Tommy Morgan's trademarks include terrific control over the instrument
and an absolutely mind-boggling command of practically every style that
has ever been attempted on the harmonica. I was blown away when I
discovered that the same guy who played the Charlie McCoy-ish licks on
"In Pursuit of D.B. Cooper" and the down-home prairie sounds on
"Barbarossa" also played the sophisticated Wonder style of "The Truth
About Cats and Dogs."

Morgan was at least twice elected Session player of the Year by the
Hollywood local of the American Federation of Musicians.  You can't get
a  higher level of peer recognition from the highest level of
professional musicians than that.

Harmonica players who wish to become acquainted with Morgan's work
should simply go to the local video store and ask for a copy of any
movie made in Hollywood since 1965 with harmonica prominently featured
in the score.  The odds are very high that it's Morgan on the
soundtrack.

Thanks, Richard Hunter