Re: Hering Vintage 1923

Bob wrote:

>The hand made Marine Bands and Special
>20's uses what technically correct in terminology called 10 limit just,
>which is more of a compromise between the original 7 limit just that Hohner
>used and equal so that the chords and double stops are smoother, yet not
>quite as smooth as the original 7 limit, but is a bit closer to equal.

I'd be very curious to know where you got the phrase "10-limit".

The term "limit" usually refers to the highest prime number used in a
tuning scheme based on ratios, or in certain cases the highest odd
number used in these ratios. As 10 is neither prime nor odd, it simply
doesn't make any sense to talk about "10-limit".

The tuning of the current MBs and S20s is somewhere between Just and
12TET and is probably best described as a "compromise temperament".
The fact that it is closer to Just than to Equal does not make it a
just tuning of any limit.

BTW, for those of you going to SPAH this year, I believe Richard
Sleigh's seminar will be focussing on tuning, temperament and related
issues.

 -- Pat.