Re: QUERIES RE TONGUE.

In a message dated 8/7/03 10:15:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I think what you're talking about is opening your mouth over holes 2 thru 5
> with the tonguie blocking out holes 3 and 4.

No, there is a 2-4 split with the tongue blocking hole 3. It creates a
"fifth" interval on the inhale and a minor 6th on the exhale. This is not as common
as the 2-5 split, which is an octave on the exhale and a dominant 7th on the
inhale.

The "fifth" interval sound is what you hear when violins tune up to
themselves - usually heard a few seconds after the A-440 is given to an orchestra. I've
had fun playing this interval, using a bit of bend technique and pretended to
tune up, simulating tightening the peg of a violin.

These intervals can be used musically in all formats and the technique
required is one that all serious students of the harmonica should learn.

The Iceman