Re: 4th position

- --- Mark Wilson <markwilson53@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Any 4th position wizards out there willing to
> help me out with some of the basics?  I've
> checked all my instructionals, the harp-l
> archives, and all over the net without much luck.
>
> Thanks
> Mark Wilson

Hey Mark,

I'm certainly no "4th position wizard" but I can
sorta get you started, I guess.

It lays out nicely for minor key songs, but is not
great for blues (IMO). You can do Summertime or
Johnny Comes Marching Home very easily there, as
well as many other non-blues minor-key ditties. The
tonic falls on the 3 draw full-step bend, the 6
draw and the 10 draw.

It works out to be the key of Am on a C harp (A B C
D E F G A). It tabs like this over two octaves:

3", 3, 4+, 4, 5+, 5, 6+, 6
6, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, 9, 9+, 10

The 4th position blues scale is a little tough
unless you're an overbender (two octaves w. one
overblow).
3", 4+, 4, 4+OB, 5+, 6+, 6
6, 7+, 8, 8+', 8+, 9+, 10

The only time I regularly use 4th in my own blues
playing is when I'm in 3rd position, playing over
the V chord. I can get by for one bar pretty well.
;-)

Well, that's about all I know about 4th.

I'm sure you'll hear from those more knowledgeable
than me on this.

Good luck!

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens