Re: 12th position = 1st Flat Position

I agree with Mike and George on this.

Ok, thinking on a C Harp...

If "first flat" were to mean F Major, because it has one flat and "fourth
flat" were F Minor (Aeolian), then surely if we were playing G Mixolydian, that
would be "straight harp",because G Mixo has no sharps of flats...

If we were to play G minor pentatonic, that would imply G Dorian(1rst flat?)
G Aeolian (2nd flat?) or G Phrygian (3rd flat)... do we call G minor
pentatonic any one of these just because these are the number of flats involved? No.

We call it 2nd position whether we are playing G Blues, G Pentatonic, G
Lydian or G Locrian, right?

Anyway, IMHO, Winslow's approach would be much better served by just naming
the key... ie. F Major or F Minor or F Melodic Minor ect...

Using a "chord-quality generic" approach to harp has really helped me get
more sounds out of each position.

- -Steve Marchena