Fwd: Re: 12th position = 1st Flat Position

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Thaden <jjthaden@xxxx>
wrote:

When I'm playing F minor on a C harp, I'm usually not thinking 12th
position, but rather, 4th, since F minor is the relative minor of A
major and A major is 4th position on a C harp.  For me, "first flat",
or "one flat" is a pretty good synonym of 12 position.

======

F and A do not have that relationship.

F# - not F natural - is the relative minor of A natural.

I was talking about F natural, which is the relative minor of Ab.

Ab is not 4th position, it is (hell, I have to stop and count) ninth
position. Does thinking about ninth position while playing in twelfth
really make anything easier?

Winslow