Re: personal harp story (long)

Bravo, Steve, bravo! Whether a basement band or a concert hall, there's
nothing like THAT feeling.

From: Moandabluz@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:06:55 EDT
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: personal harp story (long)

This is just a little thing about me and my harp playing. No information
here, nothing new for you list members.
  For those of you who know me, i make no claims to being a great harp
player. I can play basic things and I have improved a lot over the past few
years.
A few weeks ago i stopped at a local restaurant to say hello to some friends
who were playing there. They are always kind enough to let me play a song or
two and keep it simple, usually a shuffle and something standard.
  So, imagine my surprise last week when the leader of the group called me
and asked me if I could play with them on Saturday. Turns out, a lady in the
place was there when I played, was looking for a band for a private party
for employees of the local TV station. She loved the harmonica sound and
told them she'd hire them if they could get the harmonica player.
  Now, I should mention, the drummer, guitar player and bass player in this
group are considered the best in town on those instruments and the band is
popular. So we played outside last Saturday, and I got to use my own setup,
with the amp   mic'ed thru the PA and the whole deal.   I have always wanted
to play a full night with a quality band and this was my chance.
  Nervous? No kidding. But the band is mellow and plays a wide variety of
music, loosely blues-based. I survived, found something to play on
everything that needed it, and had a very memorable night.
   I pass this along because this list and some members here have done so
much to help me improve. I'm not a kid (61) and ijust got serious about this
a few years ago. I don't have a lot of time to invest,   and not a lot of
musical talent, but I love playing and this was something that meant a lot
to me.
So, excuse the rambling. But those of you here who might wonder why they
keep trying so hard to improve with no real reason in sight, keep this in
mind.... You never know when the practice and the love of   playing harp
will all come together.
Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp