Re: is this right?

>Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 10:32 -0500 (CDT)
>From: hippo@xxxxxxxxxx (Hugh Messenger)
>Subject: RE: is this right?
>
>At 3:21 9/27/94, Ri58066217@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>I would like to bring to your attention somethings about "bending" the reeds.
>> There is no such thing as bending the reed "up."
>>[bobbit for bandwidth]
>
>What about, say, overblowing on 1 through 6?  You bend a blow note to a
>pitch that is higher than both the blow and the draw reeds.  Which reed
>(blow or draw) is making the sound is open for discussion, but whichever
>one it is, it is most definitely bending to a higher pitch.

For discussion purposes we should stick to the convention of calling the
technique for lowering the pitch of the sounding reed bending (as in
drawbend and blowbend) and calling the technique for raising the pitch of
the sounding reed overblowing (or overdrawing).  It can get pretty
confusing when "bending" means three different things...even tilting the
harp.

Cheng Ann, I think that part of what happens when you tilt the harp is a
change in the air-stream as it passes through the harp and part is that you
are getting a better seal with your lips on the top and bottom plates.  By
partially blocking off the hole you create a faster air-stream.  That,
combined with the more positive vacumn should allow for easier bending.  I
think that as you get better you will find it easier to get a decent seal
while holding the harp straight, and develop greater control over the air-
stream by manipulating the shape of your tounge within your mouth, that you
will tilt the harp less and less.  But the bottom line is that whatever
technique you can find to give you the sound you're looking for is good.
Don't worry so much about how others go about it but practice using your
ears as your guide...you'll know when somethings working or not by how it
sounds.

Not that picking the experts brains once in a while dosen't help!  I've
been playing the harp off and on now for about 24 years or so.  It's fun to
watch a newbie learning the tricks.  MAN! I wish this list was around when
I started.

Bill Long  >-- StarGazer