Re: HELP! - crash course in reed tuning needed!

>I need some help in tuning a dead(flat) reed.

I should let someone else describe this since others may be able to
describe the process to you better than I. If I leave something out, I
would appreciate it if others would jump in and add to this, or correct me
if necessary. After re-reading this, I hope some of you tuning vets will
help me out here.

If it's gone that flat there may be nothing you can do. When I've had reeds
that have gone that flat they generally have a fracture in them which makes
the reed irrepairable. Also keep in mind that if one reed has gone flat,
there's a good chance that others will also be out of tune. I can tune an
entire harp in about 20 minutes but I couldn't tune a harp in 2 days when I
first started. It can be real frustrating until you get the hang of it.

You also need to know what you're tuning to. The Hohners are generally
"just" tuned to A-444 with the exception of the Golden Melody's and
Meisterklasse's (which are "equal" tuned). This means that all reeds aren't
tuned the same(although I understand that Lee Oskar's are all tuned to
443). This is not a problem if you understand what all this means since any
harp can be tuned any way you want it. (This subject should be addressed in
detail elsewhere)

To tune reeds you'll need some specialized tools. Different players have
their favorites. I use an exacto knife with a curved blade for scratching
the reed, the thinnest blade from a feeler guage to support the reed, a
tuner and a good set of jewelers screw drivers.

To sharpen a reed: Pop the covers off and support the #4 draw reed(draw
reeds are on the outside and blow reeds on the inside for the Hohners that
I've dealt with). Support the reed and gently scratch the tip(the opposite
end from the riveted side) with the exacto knife. Scratch it at a slight
lengthwise angle down the reed. If you scratch perpendicular to the length
you take a chance on breaking the reed. You should scratch no further from
the tip than the width of the reed. You don't have to take much metal off
to change the pitch of the reed, so go slow. After scratching, pluck the
reed a couple of times(like any spring system, harmonica reeds need to be
"sprung" or they can "remember" their starting position - that's an another
subject entirely). Check it with the tuner. This process must be repeated
until the pitch of the reed is where you want it. Then put the harp back
together. Also, don't rely strictly on the tuner, use yours ears as well.

>I am reluctant to buy a new one since I don't really have time to break it >in.

I used to think this was necessary but as time went by, I played much more
gently and I never break harps in anymore. I have found no advantage. Since
I nearly always play gently(not soft) whatever I would be doing while
breaking in the harp, I'm going to be doing on stage as well.

My bottom line recommendation? Go get another harp along with a copy of The
Harp Handbook by Steve Baker and use your old harp as a learning device for
tuning harps.

Rick Barker