Re: Crystal sources?

>Is there a good source for crystal elements for Astatic's, Shaker's >etc.
>Are they still making them anywhere, or are they pulling off old inventory?

I got several from Kevin at Kevin's Harps.

Also. I sent an old Astatic (not working) to Rod Piazza and he
put in a volume control and fixed it. He also added a small
capacitor and put a little foam dot on the crystal where it might
buzz against the front grill. These mods cost (a few years ago) $65.

I think the price is a little high for the work done, but now I have
an astatic that Rod Piazza might have played through (at
least to test). There is rumor that he treats the element with
something to funkasize the sound. The crystal popped when
I learned it is not good to keep your astatic in the truck when
the temperature drops below freezing.

By the way, I don't usually play through this astatic. My other
one - stock, with a Kevin crystal - is louder and seems more biting.
The Rod Piazza mods make the sound a little mellow.

          Keith

PS. Don't ask for Piazza's address as I have long since lost it.