Re: Mic?

>At 12:29 8/31/16 +2034, Tim Wong wrote:
>>I went to a used music store and saw a mic that looked just like a green
>>bullet, but was painted brown...It didn't sound like a green bullet either -
>>more highs and not as much of a power midrange.  Anyone have an idea what this
>>may be?  The guy at the store told me he thought it was an "Astic" (presumably
>>he meant Astatic?).  It was on sale for 75$.  Anyway, if anyone can tell me
>>anything from my vague description, I would be very thankful...
>

>Probably one of the "original" 50's Astatics.  I forget which models they
>had - probably either a JT22 or a JT30.
>
>You can buy a new Green bullet for around $90, so $75 is not that good a
>deal.  The last 'brown bullet' I bought about six months ago cost me $45.
>See if you can get him to knock a few bucks off it ...
>
>   -- hugh

If that mic is vintage, working and sounds good too, the price of $75 is
reasonable.  Music stores that know harp equipment will hit you for
$120 if they know a mic is vintage and desireable.  My 35 year old
JT-30 sounds better than a new Hohner Blues Blaster (same as Astatic's
new JT-30, different color)  Try it out.  Compare it to a new one adn but the one
that sounds better.  Also, you can still get Astatic crystals for those old mics.
I would also not advise buying a new Green Bullet.  They are dual impedance
microphone.  The old ones were high impedance and the signal was "hotter"
providing the more overdriven Chicago sound.  The new ones just don't have
the edge to the sound that I like.  I have a new bullet and an old one too.  Not to
sound like a broken record, but there is no comparison.  Haven't brought the
"new" GB out in years.

Bernie Clarke
"Don't start me to talkin', I'll tell everything I know" - SBWII