Re: Univibe/Rotovibe Pedal or Leslie rotating speaker -- thoughts?

At 12:02 9/19/94 -0500, Harvey A. Andruss, III wrote:
>Anyone use these in performance context?  Gimicry or useful?

I play Hammond organ as well as harp, and on a couple of occasions my
Princeton blew a fuse leaving me ampless.  On both occasions this happened,
I played through my Yamaha rotating speaker, usually dedicated to the
Hammond.

Now, the Yamaha ain't exactly a Lesley, but it's close.  Instead of a small
pair of horns rotating on a vertical spindle it has a pair of 4*8 speakers
that rotate out of phase on a horizontal spindle.

Just for fun whilst playing harp through the Yamaha I dicked around with
the rotation.  It sounded pretty stoopid when rotating at fastest speed,
but if I slowed the rotation down it actually sounded pretty damn good.
Unlike a Lesley, the Yamaha has a variable speed control on the back of the
unit (although the foot switch just switches between 'off' and whatever
speed you have set on the unit).  Standing by the speaker and varying the
speed whilst playing worked real good, especially on 'spacy' songs.

According to an informed source, the Yamaha speaker I use was made about 25
years ago as a chorus unit, before they came up with digital chorus pedals.
The same applies to Lesleys ...

So, if you want chorus, try a Lesley.  I personally would not go and buy
one just for the harp, but if you have one anyway ... give it a go.

(Oh, and if you've got a Lesley you don't want, I'd bravely volunteer to
take it off your hands)

   -- hugh