Astatic JT-30 Repair

A friend has asked me to fix his old JT-30.
The Switchcraft connector on the mic is broken (the center
contact has been crushed into the connector).  I was
able to knock it out of the mic... looks like it was just
a press fit into the mic body w/a little glue.

So, I called Kevin's Harps, and he has a replacement
connector for only $8.95.  Just wondering if any of you
folks had any other innovative ideas for a different solution.
Seems to be a classic problem on all harp mics.... connecting
the cord.

Several people had mentioned putting a 1/4" jack in the hole
where the mic stand connected.  Seems like that might be slightly
in the way... any experiences?

Someone else mentioned epoxy around the cable?

Elliott New