Whistle to the Overblow?

Hugh wrote on Thu, 15 Sep 94 18:45 CDT:

(intro cut out)

>Put down harp.  Arrange the face for whistling.  Whistle.  Now push the
>tip/middle of your tongue forward a "bit" - enough to raise the pitch of
>the whistle about like the 'officer on deck' pipe whistle - ooo-eeee-ooo.
>The 'heel' of the tongue (our old friend "say the letter K" area) stays the
>same.  Just move the tip/middle of the tongue up and forward a little.

(lots of good stuff cut out)

>Doing it just once in
>a song, in the middle of a harp ride, is hellishly effective.

As was this post. Well done!!

I want to suggest that there's more to this whistling thing for
overblows/overdraws too -- if you whistle the note you want, I think your
mouth is probably set up to resonate at the right frequency -- is this a
correct assumption on my part?

Flame away if I'm promoting a newbie harper's tale ;), but it seems
consistent with Robert (Johno) Johnston's tuned blower he used in his
research (?)  As I improve my high pitch whistling intonation, it seems to
improve my overblowing -- or is it just my imagination? :o :* :!   (<--- we
need some new harmonica smileys  8^)

HIP 4 is really the best place I've seen discussing this so far, as is some
of the stuff I pulled from the Harmonigopher into a compilation (Winslow
wrote some of that also, as did Steve Jennings of Harmonica World :)  The
HIP 4 stuff builds on what's in the Baker book and in Levy's video (BTW
reviewed in HIP 4, also). But I haven't seen the 'overblow cottage
industry' yet though, Winslow ;) --  but I have finally  made contact with
Herzhaft for his tape.  I'll crawl back into my cubby hole now... dB^)

Regards,                  haandruss@xxxxxxx
Harv                      *Opinions my own*