Re: heard these..?

Different genre (adult contemp/jazz), but I heard a new song called 'Shape
of Things to Come' by Chris Smith on the local radio station yesterday. A
funk, hip-pop, fusion thing (not unlike Candy Dulfer or Grover Washington,
Jr. to me) -- anybody know anything about this?  Is Chris the harp player?
What's the album title?  Others?

Also, I've lost track of J. Geils/Magic Dick over the years, and was
pleased to see that they have been playing around and have a new release.
The last one I got recently on cassette cut-out was from 1984 without Wolff
-- kind of a throw-away REO Speedwagon meets ELO thing fronted by Justman,
but one cut caught my attention for Dick's 'thick tone' was called 'Bite
from Within' or something like that, and he didn't use the trademark blues
phrases on that one.  I always thought he used a minimum of effects, but
tweaked the EQ to get the trumpets sound and various timbres. He like Oskar
is way cool in my book even if he's been sittin' on the fence the last 10
years.

Finally, I took a chance on a new CD by the 'Howling Iguanas' on the
Shrapnel (ie heavy metal) label which feature a harp player, whose name
escapes me at the moment (their guitar player is Michael Firkins - sp?),
and who plays a lot like John Popper IMHO.  They apparently have played at
HORDE in the past (1993?), as have Blues Traveler.  It's loud and fast, a
few things are 'interesting' but they have a few things to learn about
their 'sound' yet.  I like the idea of 'rock' bands fronted by harp
players, and some of you out there appear to be doing it now, but except
for BT, I'm not aware of too many doing it successfully (as opposed to
'chicago blues' or 'blues' derivative, which I also like).

Ideas, differing opinions welcome.

Regards,                  haandruss@xxxxxxx
Harv                      *Opinions my own*