Effects, Amps and Cases

I use an old Roland Space Echo which gives me 6 settings from a short reverb
to a long echo. This is a tape loop machine similiar to the Echoplex. I have
it serviced and the tape changed once a year.  I also have a Boss EQ, reverb,
delay and flanger pedals in a BOSS case which I use if I don't want to bring
the space echo. The effects pedals case is compact and works well right into
the PA without an amp and kicking in the delay on slow blues and the EQ pedal
as a volume boost and even the delay can really help your harp project and cut
through the often wall of guitar sounds. I have never been able to find a
volume control pedal to work to my satisfaction.

I also use an old Gibson Tweed Stereo Amp with 2 tens that has a built in
reverb and an on and off reverb pedal. This I use for the quick set up and
take down gig and with certain mikes sounds great. As the night progreses and
the tubes heat up it starts distorting nicely when cranked up.

My overall road amp is a retubed Bassman reissue with Silvertone power tubes
(I think 5886s?) although the Russian or chinese power tubes work fine) and a
RCA tube rectifier, and 2 Sylvania preamp tubes. The reissue comes with two
fuse boxes-one inside and one on the top of the control panel. The one on the
inside was added for the reissue since many guitar players use to hot shot the
fuse when it blew and eventually blow the amp.  One night I blew a power tube
and the sound got pretty crunchy but the band liked it. So I now have an a/b
switch in place of the top fuse box-ie, for two power tubes or one. When I
switch to the one tube-I lose about 1 to 1 1/2 setting of volume so you have
to turn up but it gives more distortion-a bit closer to an old Fender champ
(which I sometimes use for duo work in more acoustic settings).

As far as cases, I use Lee Oskar/Tombo cases but often to hold Hohner harps. I
also use an old WW2 M-1 ammo belt which holds 10 harps, 8 keys and a low F and
a high G plus two attachments for a 12 hole Marine Band and a train whistle.
The ammo belt goes over big when going through airport x-ray machine and I use
to always get check especially in Europe. In the US I get checked about 50/50.
So much for our security.  I still have and use to rely on for 14 years an old
soft leather but very heavy duty briefcase that was given to me by a retiring
Federal employee. It still is in great shape except for a one trip to the shoe
repair shop.  But my wife wanted me to go modern so I now use a Nylon cover
type brief case with extra nifty compartments for a tuner, tuning kit,
business cards, papers, mike & cords, glasses, pens etc and lots of room for
all of my harps including Chromatics and the above belt and backup harps. It
is no bigger than my old briefcase but holds alot more and really helps keep
me organized.

I really enjoy this list and usually have little time to answer or ask
questions. I could have really used it 25 years ago but am glad it is here
today and am envious for those harpists starting out. One last thing if I
remember correctly I think Magic Dick had a special speaker rig like 3 or 4
10" speakers mounted in a metal frame speaker chamber that I beleive he used
on Whammer Jammer live. Pretty sure he used an Astatic Mike too.  When I hear
questions about this and even John Mayall (C#,Db-F# harp) it really takes me
back. How about Traintime by Jack Bruce ala the Creme. Thanks for listening
and of course the opinions are my own.

cwilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Charlie Williams, Clarksville, MD)