Re: TONE

Kim Wilson's tone on Tiger Man comes to mind of course there's Icepick
(James Harman) or mark Hummel.  I saw Sugar Ray Norcia with the bluetones
a while back and he's the living incarnation of Walter Horton's sound.
Plays a 58 Bassman with a boss digital delay.  The thing about most of
these guys is that it stops at tone/attitude.  The reason I like Walter
Horton's playing so much is the rare combination of tone and lyricism
in the same guy.  You can hum his solos.  Speaking of laying out Walter
didn't much except when he was singing.  Monster players of the 90's.
Paul deLay comes to mind good tone but not awsome.  It's how he plays
what he plays.  The other guy that truly floors me is Brendan Power.  Now
he has truly phenenomnal tone.  He lip blocks and plays blindingly
fast with a precision that's hard to imagine. Walter Horton's dead.  It's
too bad but his time has come and gone.  I don't care what he played
through.  I'm just glad he was recorded and I get to listen to his stuff
after the fact. Technology changes life moves forward and we all need to
create our own style of playing influenced of course by the people that
came before us.  FJM